The NICB (National Insurance Crime Bureau) is a non profit organization dedicated to preventing insurance fraud.
They have services like the ability to check the VIN of a motor vehicle to check if it's an stolen or an unrecovered stolen vehicle.
They gather stats on various subjects. According to their stats, the 1995 Honda Civic is the most stolen vehicle in America.
In 2006, according to the NICB, the Nations hot spots for stealing cars was:
- No. 1: Las Vegas/Paradise, Nev.
- No. 2: Stockton, Calif.
- No. 3: Visalia/Porterville, Calif.
- No. 4: Phoenix/Mesa/Scottsdale, Ariz.
- No. 5: Modesto, Calif.
- No. 6: Seattle/Tacoma/Bellevue, Wash.
- No. 7: Sacramento/Arden-Arcade/Roseville, Calif.
- No. 8: Fresno, Calif.
- No. 9: Yakima, Wash.
- No. 10: Tucson, Ariz.
- San Diego is 11th,
- San Francisco is 12th.
- The San Jose /Santa Clara region ranked 24th.
- No 1 was Modesto, CA., bumping
- Las Vegas / Paradise Nev region to No. 2.
- No 3 was San Diego, up from 11th in 2006.
- Stockton dropped from 2nd to 4th.
- San Francisco moved from 12th to 5th.
- The San Jose / Sunnyvale region moved down from 24th to 32nd.